Friday, January 30, 2009

our planning :: 15 :: beauty trial


"I recently visited a salon which said that one hairdresser could do 7 girls up-do's in two and half hours.... That doesn't seem right to me. Does anyone know how long it should take???" -- forum excerpt by LCK, Brides.com. Uh, that doesn't seem quite right! LCK, make a hair trial appointment as soon as you find a stylist and then get a feel for how long it takes to have your hair done, give or take 30–45 min on the actual consultation. Some hair stylists are quick, but I'm not talking "quick" as in 20 minutes per attendant, like LCK was told. I've been doing wedding up-do's part-time for a loooong time -- 10+ yrs. From my experience, it shouldn't be a race against the clock, but rather a smooth process. A stylist who works too quickly and intensely can stress the bridal party. Most of us have visited a stylist, and as a paying client, we expect a certain level of professional service and one-on-one time, right? Same holds true for wedding hair and makeup. The trial is important because you can communicate these issues with the stylist(s) beforehand, getting a feel for not only their craftsmanship, but their time management and professionalism as well.



Back to my note on vendors, spend your time wisely by researching stylists who are within a reasonable price for you and your attendants. Once you find one, schedule a trial appointment asap. NOTE: It is not necessary for attendants to do a trial, but they are most welcome to do one. Some stylists have a trial fee, which is usually priced less than the actual up-do on the day of. NOTE: Items to bring to a hair trial: clear photos of several hair style options, a photo of your dress, your veil or hair accessory, and any other specific details, like hair extensions or your own supplies, that will help the stylist. During the trial, your stylist should provide professional advice, like start and end times, and communicate which hair styles flatter your face shape, your personality, dress and formality. He/she will get acquainted with your hair's texture and health, length, and ability to curl or straighten. The fun part about it is that you can try several hair styles and then choose one that you love!

During my trial, Skipper, my stylist, looked at my photos and mentioned that she thought the model was using hair extensions. I didn't completely shut down the idea, but when she felt how thick my hair was, she said she would be able to accomplish a "similar" up-do w/o using extensions. I, too, try my best when working with clients to achieve a style comparable to a provided photo, but know that differences in hair texture, length, etc. will change the outcome slightly. We tried several options with and without bangs and even tried a completely different up-do, which didn't look great on me. She also asked about a veil, which at the time, I hadn't planned on wearing, and ended up sharing that it would complete my look as a bride! I couldn't be more grateful for her advice. NOTE: During the trial, make sure someone (usually the stylist) is taking notes on the up-do and makeup choices or take photos after. You should see these "notes" again on your wedding day.

After the hair trial, we went straight into the makeup trial, which I had a blast with. Skipper's a movie make up artist, so she had so many types of foundations and bases, each providing different coverage on the skin.
Makeup is amazing! She also tried all sorts of lipstick colors on me, and experimented with the smoky eye look. NOTE: While most ladies try to stay away from using a ton of makeup on their wedding day, a professional stylist is great at putting on excellent, even coverage for photos, and at the same time, not making it feel so heavy. The beauty trial is a must in my book! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment