Thursday, May 21, 2009

get fancy with a bolero

Ever wonder what those mini jackets are called -- the gorgeous furry or lace ones seen in magazines? I have, and I found out that they've been given lots of names! In Edwardian times, people referred to them as "capelets (caplets)." But in Spain, they coined them as "boleros." I've also come across the terms, "cover ups," "wraps," "shrugs," even "shoulderettes." Which ever term is correct, they serve the same purpose(s), and I'm a fan! I'm going to choose the word "bolero" in this post, simply to make it easier on myself in describing these beauties!

For some reason, boleros have always seemed very couture to me. Maybe it's the thick, white fur with the dainty satin ribbons that gave me an extremely formal impression, or the capped-sleeve, lace bolero with the Victorian neckline that made the bride look extremely poised, or the elaborate ruffles and form-fitting sleeves that seemed to frame a bride's face and neck, but with such delicacy. Can't quite seem to formulate the words, but I just know it's an easy way to get fancy.



Boleros have several purposes:

  • To keep warm. For a winter wedding, a chic fur bolero will keep you warm and is definitely fashionable. You don't have to spend an arm and a leg. Many faux fur boleros are for sale.
  • To cover up. Some houses of worship have strict guidelines, which require brides (and any other females in the bridal party) to cover up during the ceremony.
  • To accessorize. Use a bolero to dress up any gown, simple or elaborate. For me, it's very fashionable if the right bolero is worn.
  • To change into a "reception" dress. Changing into a second bridal gown or evening gown for the reception is still popular. One easy way to do this without buying a 2nd dress is to simply put on a bolero. Try using one that is form fitting and complements your dress. Easy way to create a 2nd look for the reception.

No comments:

Post a Comment