Wednesday, September 16, 2009

STREET INSPIRED :: trip to Rose Bowl flea market {Pasadena}



Last Sunday, I made my first trip to the infamous Rose Bowl Flea Market in Pasadena, California. I've been bugging my husband to accompany me, but because I sometimes work weekends and the fact that this event only occurs on the 2nd Sunday of every month, trying to coordinate a day was just so complicated! But finally, the day came, and five minutes into the walk, I couldn't believe my eyes! This flea market boasts 2,000+ vendors and 20,000+ buyers, and is probably one of the best flea markets I've ever been to. Scattered throughout the antique & vintage section were thousands upon thousands of goodies -- from mid-1900s manual cameras, to an array of old, tattered luggages, to vintage paintings and prints -- I found myself repeating, "Oh my, this is amazing," every five minutes. The visitors aren't just locals from Los Angeles; many travel from nearby states, sometimes even cross country to see this spectacle. Seeing all the collectibles reminded me of being in a museum, but to be able to hold these things, in my hands, and barter for purchase was priceless.


Above: Myself in front of the Rose Bowl Flea Market

Above: fully functioning 8mm projector | only $65!!!

Above: vintage Louis Vuitton trunks and luggages; this guy had a huge collection of vintage pieces

Above: fully functioning Polaroid cameras

Above: antique silverware; the full case in the top right (mint & pink box) was selling for $2,500

I did walk away with a buy I couldn't pass up -- I'll post my new toy on another day, but in the meantime, take a look at some of the items for sale last Sunday. Unfortunately, my camera battery was dying, so I only managed to snap about ten photos ;(. Bummer.

If you want to make to Los Angeles one day, I highly recommend stopping by the Rose Bowl Flea Market on Sunday morning. It took us about 2 hours just to walk through the antique section, but we were fortunate to have experienced a really cool summer morning, with a slight overcast.


Above: mid-1900s cameras; all in working condition; a few 8mm cameras

Above: LIFE magazine collection for sale

Above: mound of boots

Above: vintage corner

Above: old crates and boxes

No comments:

Post a Comment